Friday, July 5, 2024

The Freedom of A Willow Tree

As a child, I once wrote a poem that, unintentionally, angered my mother; a poem about my own demise.  She thought that, at the age of 9, I was far too young to even consider my own end.  But, even still, I can recall the words of this poem to this day along with  the whimsical imagination of a child.

Ssurely, everyone must die - but I wanted a celebration of a life worthy of remembrance.   Seemingly,  my thoughts about how to handle my remains have gone unchanged for over thirty years....




My Willow Tree
by Sean C. Robinson
Summer 1979

When I die, I’d like to be
Placed beneath a willow tree;
A strong, but silent, willow tree
That weeps for none but me.

So, place my ashes in an urn
And bury me after I am burned.
Allow me to be born again
In branches and leaves that dance in the wind.

Yes, when I die, I’d like to be
Born again as a willow tree.
So, when you visit,
don’t cry for thee
Because my willow
will always weep for me.

And I’ll grow strong and offer shade
And live with family throughout my days
As a strong and silent willow tree
That watches over years of family.

So after I have left this earthly frame
Bury me so I might live again
As a  strong, but silent, willow tree
That weeps for none but me.


More recently, I  met with a group of friends and discussed the fact that, culturally, we often forget that death is a part of the cycle of life. 
  
We fail to plan ahead and; therefore, leave our families with undue expenses at a time when stress and poor decision making skills are at a all-time high.  As a favor to ourselves and our families, we all decided to take a moment and do three things that would help ease the pain of our transitions:
  • Create, notarize, and file our final will, 
  • Open a savings account at a black owned bank and deposit funds for our funerals, and 
  • If we are organ donors, we would designate how our organs are to be used to help other family members in need rather than just left for general distribution by the funeral homes / hospitals.

By doing these things in advance, many of the hard decisions that plague our surviving family members are removed.  Families often bicker over last minute details and a funeral is the wrong place to birth new hostilities.  So, by thinking of others even as you think of yourself, you may quail the tensions  of family division long before they become an issue.

I want a peaceful home going celebration.  I know what songs I would like to be played, how I would like to be remembered, and what I’d like to see done with the monies left behind from various insurance policies.  By creating scholarships, trust funds, and allocating property, it is safe to say we can all create a legacy that will begin to build generations of wealth long after we have left this realm.

But, alas, this is just ONE Man’s Opinion…. What about you?   

4 comments:

  1. You are right! We actually just went through this with our family and it was really hard. PLLEASE take care of business NOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never to early and never to late to get started

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do get it. I have a great insurance agent if anyone needs one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Term Life Insurance...low cost, very effective.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. We look forward to sharing our perspectives on an array of topics ranging from religion, relationships, and social candor to political positioning.

Let's engage and challenge our current interpretations of daily topics. In doing so, we may just broaden our own horizons and learn something new.

Remember, this is a safe, no judgement zone. No one is right. No one is wrong. Instead, we are all just enjoying a peek into a different way of thinking. This may be ONE Man's Opinion, but we revel in the open exchange of dialogue as we open our minds to all others.