Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fear: An Open Call For New Leadership

I was raised black.


In saying that, I have to acknowledge the fact that I like to dance to my favorite song whenever it plays in my head. I like to laugh out loud (at times) when I am most embarrassed. And, I know that I will be watched everywhere I go - whether it is a corner store or an inaugural ball - because the world expects me to do something worthy of reprimand.


As a child, I often wondered why black history was omitted from the history books in school. Then, as I grew older, I learned that if all Americans were actually taught the true history of America, we would be forced to deal with the harsh reality of oppression that has lingered since slavery.   Even after being emancipated, people of color have remained enslaved by a legal system that seemingly thrives by denying a large populous of this country their civil and economic freedoms.

I sincerely doubt if half of this country's population even knows about the accomplishments of Black Wall Street, the massacure of over 10,000 blacks in 1921, or the Detroit race riots of 1863, 1943, and 1967.   In each case, countless lives were lost each time our community dared to advance in spite of oppressive boundaries that were intended to limit our community's potential.

Long ago, I realized that being "raised black" came with just as many precautions as it did freedoms.  Don't do this.  Don't do that.  I was free to enjoy gym class as long as I liked; however, I was not expected to excel in chemistry or math. I was free to stay after school for track, band, or football; yet, I was hardly ever asked to join study groups or eat my lunch at an integrated table. I was always expected to be the comical "life of the party"; yet, I was also the central focus at these same gatherings if something went missing or if the police were called.

I understood, at a young age, that the color of my skin came with added pressures and responsibilities. To this day, I tell my doctor that I do not have high blood pressure - I am just constantly under duress due to the things that I must deal with on a sub-conscious level at all times. Being black in America is an added "pressure" that his medical equipment could not compensate for, so the medical readings of my pulse may be higher than my counterparts who do not deal with my day-to-day dilemmas.Going to the store could be a death sentence for me – if I am in the wrong place at the right time.

Whenever I walk across a busy street, I still laugh as I hear car doors lock and conversations trail off into silence. When I walk into stores, I smile as attendants refuse to offer me service; yet, they follow me around the store pretending to clean up as they watch me. And still, when I walk into work, I hold my breath as I watch my co-workers become rigid if I interject an idea - thinking that I am being defensive or always seeing things from a racial standpoint.

But, along with this acute sense of self awareness comes an inherent awareness of my surroundings as well. I know that it has been two years since Trayvon Martin was gunned down and his murderer was acquitted of all blame. And, just like Emmitt Till, the four young girls from the church bombings, and the Atlanta children murdered in the 1980s –there is still no justice for Trayvon. I know that this same story of injustice is echoed throughout history because our current laws allow racism and acts of cruelty to become commonplace as crimes are committed against a great number of people simply because of their color.  
When the Martin vs Zimmerman trial began, I was one of the first to say that the accused would walk free. Co-workers were angry and friends voiced their opinions; however, I remained focused on the facts. Everything was hearsay and the only witness to the crime was the accused; therefore, nothing would ever become evident.

The same law that allowed Zimmerman - and most recently Michael Dunn - to go free had been used to unjustly prosecute some and acquit others in previous cases. And, the guidelines for first degree murder in Florida included vague language that could not be proven in a case where there was no second witness. In short, Zimmerman and Dunn had both won their cases even before the trial started. 

Realistically, there was no way to prove either man's guilt based on the guidelines of the law for premeditated first degree murder. Had the prosecution opted for second degree murder or manslaughter in either case, then a conviction would have been more likely.  My only questions are these: “Didn’t the prosecutors know that going into the case?” and “Were they just appeasing black America by going through the public circus of a trial before quietly sweeping these deaths under a rug?”

In recent months, a disproportionate amount of media has been focused on the injustices that plague the black community. From the public executions of Trayvon Martin, Jordan Davis, Renisha McBride, and Jonathan Ferrell to the civil injustices against Marissa Alexander, Chavis Carter, Kendrick Johnson, and CeCeMcDonald. And, have we forgotten about the brutal dragging death of Alfred Wright that was ruled as "accidental" even though his throat was slit, his eyes and teeth were missing and he was dragged behind a vehicle for miles?

Even President Barack Obama chimed in on the recent miscarriage of justice saying in the Martin case, saying, "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon". But, what are we to tell our sons and daughters if - no matter how educated, complacent, and law-abiding that they may be - they can be killed for simply being black in America? 
Although protests have been organized to bring attention to the controversial Stand Your Ground law, very little effectual change has taken place. We continue to see cases that highlight the dysfunctionality of the American justice system every day.   How many more names must be added to this growing list of fatalities before we realize that there is a cultural war going on in America?  Nay-sayers would like to cloud your perceptions by introducing arguments that skew your judgment like “black-on-black crime” and “high incarceration rates”; however, these are both effects of the cultural war – not the cause.  Legislation without prejudice for color, culture, or economic might would resolve many issues but the old adage, “He who has the gold, makes the rules” seems to be the actual law of the land.

Now is the time for a civil rebirth.  Now is the time for a leader to emerge from the masses.  As we watch the civil rights leaders of our past generation slowly succumb to age, we need to reassert the energies of the national organizations that once held our communities together. Now, more than ever, we need to write our congressmen about having the Stand Your Ground laws removed from our judicial system.


We need to show a united front whenever protesting. We need a clear agenda and a plausible resolution. Marching down streets with signs and yelling at the top of your lungs is not a protest; that is defined as a demonstration. In order to successfully protest, we need to organize our efforts through a central organization that can readily account for the buying power of our communities across this nation.

The most effective protests interrupt financial forecasts of businesses who silently depend on the collective spending of a community. Then, change comes about because people are forced to become uneasy because they feel your "pain" financially and respond to your pleas. The "Occupy Atlanta" protests took place in areas that did not interrupt business, so they were visible, but ineffective. The bus boycotts in the 1960s crippled the transportation industry and forced one community's issues to be rectified because it effected everyone in some way or another.

Marching down the street with posters only impedes traffic.  Buying a bag of Skittles only helps to widen that company's profit margin. If protesters had, instead, asked the company to support them in their efforts because one of their customers was mercilessly killed, maybe the results would have been different. Quite simply, protesting without planning equals chaos.  But, organized chaos can create change.
It saddens me to know that more people are invested in knowing what NeNe Leakes thinks of Kenya Moore rather than knowing the laws that effect them and their children in their own state! But, if we were to organize, unite, and finally make plausible demands of the governing systems in America, then maybe - just maybe - we could enjoy the true freedoms of living in a land "with liberty and justice for all"....

Yes, #BlackLivesMatter....  But, alas, this is just ONE Man's Opinion.... What is yours?

9 comments:

  1. An extremely provocative and informative well placed and well timed stand on an issue that is plaguing our nation. Leadership comes in all forms. Thank you for your Leadership S.R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Very well written. I agree with you. I think it is sad. However, my question to you is this "How do we excite the change that is needed when Black America is so un-united?" What is need is a solution, but how do we get there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that we can turn conversation into action and encourage the leaders of organizations like the SCLC, NAACP, and 100 Black Men to do more than fight over the historical value of relics from the 1960s and begin to lend their voice to the mistrials of today.

      We now have television stations, newpapers, magazines, and radio stations that could call attention to national rallies and we can participate in moving the scales of justice in a more balanced, just way. When a new leader/organization becomes more visible in voter registrations, lobbying, and speaking for the masses, then maybe we can truly effectuate change in America.

      Delete
  3. It would take several pages and several days to fully comment on the provocative subject matter. I will try to get right to the point. More than 400 years a slave is the reality, no only of Black people but of a White dominated society as well. Because we (African Americans) are not immigrants, but instead are descendants of Slaves, there has never been (may never be) an acknowledgement of our people and our history. "Black history" is really American history but due to the Slave/Slave Master relationship (we are not immigrants), America is ashamed (only because the rest of the world is observing and commenting on the atrocities associated with our Slave history). It is easier for most Americans (including African Americans) to hide from the real truth, the real story because it is simply easier (takes no courage) to ignore rather than acknowledge, the truth. As long as we continue to educate everyone about the contributions of African Americans and more important, continue to let it be known that until we (African Americans) are fully respected, from the homeless, helpless brother/sister on the street, to the President of the United States. Some Americans would rather betray the USA than to display respect for our own President. Again, Black history is American history, only Darker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POWERFUL STATEMENT: "Black history is American history, only Darker." I applaud you for your amazing insight!

      Delete
  4. I detest disagreeing with such enlightening and informative article, but I must challenge “one man” to respond to this question: Are you suggesting anything new? Haven’t we been taking part of financial disruption, demonstrations and group protests? The problem is far from being judicial because the moment we get rid of these laws, “THEY” will manage to create new ones.
    The problem is that, regrettably “YOU” were not raised black. Being raised black is certainly not to tell our sons that they should be careful where they are or to tell them how they should act. “Being raised black “is to understand that we are superior and no law could possibly express our grandeur. We should give our sons a sense of pride. We should teach them who they are and where they come from. A young man who knows his worth is wise; he will choose communication over force.
    Being raised black means simply that we who will become parents need to teach what it is really to be black- not black in United States, simply “black”. Only then, they will not be more passionate about Nene and Kenya.
    One black woman's opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giovanni,

      I applaud your willingness to shine an international light on this subject and, although I am not wholly persuaded by your stance, I find solace in recognizing the perspective of "one black woman’s opinion". This dialogue is one that needs to be had in a public forum as we have often skirted the issues of race, equality and justice in American history.

      First things first. Am I suggesting anything new? No, I am suggesting something old. I am suggesting that we recall the spirit of unity and conviction that we (as a culture) held in great esteem throughout the 1960s. Then, we understood the importance of every small accomplishment as we tread our way toward the American dream. Protests were organized to impact the economic structure of the cities that oppressed our rights and our leaders were chosen who had no blemishes on their public records. Public demonstrations and marches were conducted on main thoroughfares not just for visibility, but also as a means of causing economic strife to businesses and draw attention to our cause. These visible, monetary-blocking protests also ended with rallies and speeches that not only demanded change, but also offered a solution (i.e change in laws, voter registration, new administration).

      Today, protests like the marches organized after the deaths of these youths have been no more than public demonstrations that, once finished, have led nowhere. The marches are on back streets and no one has continued to rally for justice. No voices demand change and no one has pulled together voters to change laws. Pointing out an injustice and doing nothing to effectuate change is an exercise in futility. Quite simply, I am suggesting that we take a page from the past in order to correct our future.

      Secondly, I WAS RAISED BLACK. And, so were you. Just because I did not mention that each morning as I left my home that my mother kissed me on the forehead and told me that I was a KING does not mean that I am not acknowledging that part of my psyche. I am simply stating that being raised black also means that we have to remind our children - more often than any other culture - that there are unseen circumstances which will ask them to respond and behave differently in public. Media portrayals of our identity continue to create fear in others and we must be mindful of that in every situation. Regardless of how you dress, speak, or carry yourself - your skin color is the first obstacle you must overcome in every given situation. I am not saying that we must be submissive, but I am saying that we must temper our responses with reason and realize that we have a racially motivated judicial system in this country.

      Trust me, I realize I am superior. I revel in all the richness of my culture - from the White House to the poor house - because I am the culmination of the strengths of each past struggle. I invite you to broaden your perspective on the lessons that are repeated in American history. I encourage you to realize that being raised black is actually an advantage that has benefitted me. It has pushed me to excel in many cases and realize that there is an undercurrent of conversations that still need to be had in America.

      Now, I just hope that we can turn conversation into action and encourage the leaders of organizations like the SCLC, NAACP, our Pan-Hellenic organizations, and 100 Black Men to do more than fight over the historical value of relics from the 1960s and begin to lend their voice to the mistrials of today. When they (or a new leader) become more visible in voter registrations, lobbying, and speaking for the masses, then maybe we can truly effectuate change in America. Until then, let's all be mindful to raise our children with a richness in their duality; for we are all kings and queens who are also targeted for social genocide. Simply being aware of this makes us stronger – not weaker.

      Delete
    2. My most humble and sincere thought:

      You are fighting the battle because you are African American and NOT because you are black. America has praised the black Diaspora. So, in my opinion, you are still fighting that battle because your history has been falsified; therefore has not been able to establish peace. I exhausted all my arguments.

      Delete
  5. Im down with the Revolution because it wont be televised!! I feel like this NO JUSTICE NO PEACE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. We look forward to sharing our perspectives on an array of topics ranging from religion, relationships, and social candor to political positioning.

Let's engage and challenge our current interpretations of daily topics. In doing so, we may just broaden our own horizons and learn something new.

Remember, this is a safe, no judgement zone. No one is right. No one is wrong. Instead, we are all just enjoying a peek into a different way of thinking. This may be ONE Man's Opinion, but we revel in the open exchange of dialogue as we open our minds to all others.