Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Strength And Power She Commands...

Women are to be applauded simply because they are women.  I say this because I have had great examples in my life, great experiences in my past, and I have even greater expectations in my future.

You see, as a child, I stood in awe of my mother; Sadie, sweet Sadie.  She raised her nine children all alone in a four bedroom home in a quiet residential neighborhood in Portsmouth, VA.  We never knew when she was struggling or at her wit's end.  We all had daily chores marked clearly on a wall calendar that hung in the kitchen.  We all knew that we had to eat meals together at certain times of the day.  We all knew that we could not leave the house until our chores and homework were done. And, most importantly, we all knew that we needed to be in the house as soon as the street lights came on.  Without knowing it, she laid a foundation for order that has shaped my public persona.

Our neighbors may have had their own opinion of what they could expect of a woman with a house full of children.  But, when they came to visit - announced or unannounced - they were always surprised to find the house in immaculate order and every child neatly dressed and well-mannered.  Many times, they had to ask where the children were because my mother was a firm believer that children were to be seen and not heard.  We didn't entertain or interfere with adult conversations.  We played quietly in our rooms and, for years, found joy in the sound of each others laughter.  By doing this, my mother taught me to respect elders, nurtured my creativity, and  instilled my manners when interacting with others.


My mother was never without work.  She did odd jobs, worked as a nurse, and did everything she could within legal and moral limitations to ensure that none of her children were deprived anything that they desired.  My sweet Sadie worked hard and loved even harder.  We each knew just how special we were in our mother's eyes; each for a different reason, yet all the same.  She never chose favorites or placed the concerns of one above any other.  We, in turn, learned to be stewards of equality and - to this day - we seek out resolutions that are fair, not just favorable. Even still, her quiet example taught me to take pride in an honest day's work and its spoils.

My mother's silent strength still leaves me speechless.  Now a seventy-eight year old matriarch with eleven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren to her credit, my mother has defeated cancer in four places in her body and still finds the strength to encourage others.  She maintains a youthful glow because she starts and ends each day with praise and fills the hours in between with laughter and reflection.  Her fervent love affair with God has taught me the rewards of prayer and the power that lies within faith.  Her resilience has taught me to look for the positive in every situation and to leave worry for those who have no relationship with God.

When I look around for the same characteristics in other women, I catch glimpses of my mother's regal stance.  She has taught me to look for the unique qualities that append themselves to each woman based on her experiences.  She has trained my heart to look beneath the exterior and find the treasure (worth) of every female.  Thus, my adoration for any female is based on the premise that all women are beautiful because of their inner strength and the many secrets they each hold within.

1015 Taft Drive, Portsmouth VA
My childhood home is filled with fond memories.
A fortunate man is the one who cares to learn a woman's secrets one by one; always finding intrigue in her every circumstance.  My sisters, aunts, and female cousins act as guides and my own mascara-covered "third eye" as I navigate life's riddles.  Their wisdom and experiences offer a long-term perspective that (as a male) I may not see or consider.  Their grace under pressure and ability to temper the past with the present have been traits I have both admired and ingrained into my being.     

I am sure that I am not alone in my assessment of the pulchritude of my mother and every other woman in my family.  Today - and every day - I challenge you to applaud the beauty that is in front of you and revel in every nuance of her character.  After all, every woman is to be admired....  It is simply up to you to determine her worth....

(For My Mother)
Phenomenal Woman
Maya Angelo

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But, when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now, you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.



5 comments:

  1. Your mother is definitely a phenomenal woman. She is what all women should aspire to me. Definitely an inspiration to me. God bless her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It reminds me so much of my mother(R.I.P.Virgie). She was just everything to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cousin! This is absolutely outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love her! My mother is my best friend... there is only one Sadie. And, even though she's all mine, I am willing to share her with the world....

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing! This was beautiful to read! She sounds like an amazing and wonderful woman! -T. Thomas

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. We look forward to sharing our perspectives on an array of topics ranging from religion, relationships, and social candor to political positioning.

Let's engage and challenge our current interpretations of daily topics. In doing so, we may just broaden our own horizons and learn something new.

Remember, this is a safe, no judgement zone. No one is right. No one is wrong. Instead, we are all just enjoying a peek into a different way of thinking. This may be ONE Man's Opinion, but we revel in the open exchange of dialogue as we open our minds to all others.