Friday, November 21, 2014

You Didn't Know?! We've Always Been Beautiful!

Months ago, People Magazine allowed the glowing radiance of Lupita Nyong'o to grace its cover as one of the most beautiful people in the world.  Pleased to finally see the public acknowledgement of ethnic beauty, I watched silently as the world seemed to echo the rippling effect of public adulation.  Laughingly, I listened as others commented on her beauty as if it were suddenly "refreshing" to see such stunning poise and grace embodied in a woman of color. 

Lupita Nyong'o
But, quite honestly, the stark contrast between Nyongo and that which we are subconciously taught to personify as beauty is probably the most amazing thing about this buzz worthy "attraction".  Nyongo's dark complexion, short hair, and magnetic smile all combine to make cameras fall in love with a new definition of American beauty that - suprisingly - has been here all the while.   
 
Having been raised in a household with four sisters, four brothers, and a mother who never left the house without looking her very best, I have always reveled in the commanding beauty of women of color.  You see, I was surrounded by five reflections of feminine beauty that did not need affirmations from society.  As a counter-balance, I was also fortunate to also have four examples of masculinity that - though not applauded publicly - still defined character, strength, and pride.  Together, each of my family's facial features and varied array of skin tones proved to me that there is not one standard for beauty.  To me, the entire African American diaspora is a living personification of what beauty truly means. 

Carolyne Desert
We, as a race, can wear any and every hairstyle worn by other ethnicities and somehow breathe a new dimension of depth, character and sass into its style.  We can "rock an afro" or "sport a pixie cut" and pull each look off with ease.  We can go from dreadlocks to curly locks and still not allow a temporary fashion trend to swallow our style and finesse.  So, to me, the newfound love for shorter hair is nothing new; nor is the stunning beauty of a black woman.  As many would say, "Been there, done that!"  We've been standing in plain sight for hundreds of years and, admittedly, it is nice to finally be noticed.
 
Today, I learned that Carolyne Desert; Miss Haiti 2014, will compete in the Miss World Pageant and she, too, has decidedly shaved her head.  This model-turned-beauty queen boldly flaunts her naked beauty as a strong black woman and she is not to be ignored.  Joining Nyongo on the horizon of a new standard, Desert is making a statement by being an unconventional beauty.  If we are to look at all women as beautiful, they should not be made to fit into one mold. 

I used to take offense when I saw women of color who denied their natural beauty and opted for hair extensions, contacts, paddings and pillows.  But then, I took note and realized that if they were only wearing these things as enhancements, they could be applauded.  In some cases, it made their return to their "natural look" all the more mysterious.

Women of color seem to  be fashion chameleons and should be applauded as such.  Now, the popularity of some television shows like Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, and State of Affairs heavily depend on the viewership that a beautiful black central character can lend to a subject.  Be it news, sports, entertainment or pageantry, the essence of beauty is finally being acknowledged on a global scale.  Our women of color have proven that they can wear any style, any where and - at any time - look in the mirror and say, "Damn, I make this look good!" 
  
So, I applaud the beautiful array of black women who now grace the scene as they reinforce the idea that "Black Is Beautiful!".   It is finally time for the world to see what we've known all along....  But, then again, this is just ONE Man's Opinion... What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I am delighted to see that nowadays black women are going for a more natural look. I was getting so weary seeing the blond weave, the blue contact etc. We are indeed beautiful and unfortunately many black women and men still mimic the white man fashion.Seeing Carolyn,representing confidently Haiti with her shaved-head among a majority of long-haired white women with a a white jury is a bit scary, I must admit. However, a friend pointed out to me that her win is nothing compared to the amount of positive influence that come with her journey on the pageant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad my black sisters and brothers are finally being noticed!! We have been trying to look like others (white people) except ourselves for so long. We can wear any style and any fashion and always look good. I have been told by a white person that I always look different and they wish they can wear their hair in different styles. So we are now being envied. I love our beauty and my people of color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent article Sean! I see us making huge strides in self acceptance, which ultimately leads to America accepting us in our natural state. In a recent episode of How to Get Away with Murder, Viola Davis decided to toss her courtroom wig and show her natural coif during an intimate scene with her husband. Might her mention her husband on the show is played by a Caucasian man. That scene alone spoke volumes. In that moment I asked myself, "is America ready for this?” In the same breath I thought " why not?" However, in every social issue you have to take the good with the bad. I see minor setbacks in women of color. For example, Tiny Harris recently decided to permanently change her eye color to blue. The kicker is she went to Africa to have the surgery. I don’t think she truly realizes the masses her influence reaches. It is her personal choice to do whatever she wants with her eyes. In my mind she has a greater responsibility to her young fans! I want our young girls to know and believe that black is beautiful au naturale. It amazes me the amount of money we spend chasing a standard of beauty that’s not our own. I don’t mind extensions but when you look like a totally different person at night when you remove all the artificial enhancements. There is a problem with how you view yourself. I feel really bad for men who are attracted and pursue women they see out and about, because they never know who they are going to get in an intimate setting, when she removes all the pillows and fluff lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. We look forward to sharing our perspectives on an array of topics ranging from religion, relationships, and social candor to political positioning.

Let's engage and challenge our current interpretations of daily topics. In doing so, we may just broaden our own horizons and learn something new.

Remember, this is a safe, no judgement zone. No one is right. No one is wrong. Instead, we are all just enjoying a peek into a different way of thinking. This may be ONE Man's Opinion, but we revel in the open exchange of dialogue as we open our minds to all others.