Thursday, July 5, 2012

Nothing More Than A Name - Or Is It?

As a student in my junior high and high school years, I became an avid reader.  I enjoyed the range of writings between the works of Langston Hughes, Edgar Allen Poe and William Shakespeare.  It was Shakespeare who wrote the famous line, “A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet”. 

In Shakespeare’s sonnet, he was speaking of an inanimate object and the irrelevance of a name.  That line; however, could not be further from the truth when speaking about people and the implications of a the name.you choose to call them by.... 
 
I ask you: "Do we cripple some (not all) children mentally when we choose to call them by a nickname rather than the one we gave them at birth?"  In my opinion, I would say, “Yes”.

When a mother and father are first presented with the thought of a newborn child, they spend countless hours deciding on a name worthy of all their aspirations. Not only are they looking for a name that will set their child apart from others, but they look for a noble name that will bring prestige to its owner.

 
Then, just a few months after the birth, the parents denounce the name that they have searched for and adopt a lesser name. This playful “nickname” takes on a persona of its own and, in kind, gives birth to a personality that sometimes rebels against the original ideals of the child’s name.
Allow me to explain...

Imagine this: William James Johnson was born into a middle class family and was encouraged to exceed in all he could.  His teachers, principles, pastor and church family all called him William for years.  And, in turn, William excelled.

Reaching his formative years, William began to venture out with friends and older family members.  They called him “Willie J” and he, too, refers to himself as “Willie J” whenever he wanted to break away from the conformity of church, school, and home.  "Willie J" was praised by his peers for being a smooth talking, cool, athletic womanizer.  In contrast, William was rarely acknowledged for speaking properly, excelling in school or helping out around the house.  In fact, those attributes were often used to make fun of his nerdy, "educated self." Eventually, William faded into Willie J's shadow...  "Willie J" replaced William in every aspect of his life and the next time William James Johnson heard his birth name called as it should have been, he was shackled in a court of law.  

But, by then, it was much too late.  His new nickname is currently Prisoner #C46689902-12.  Visiting hours are Saturdays between 12 and 6 with pre-approval.
Do you think I am over exaggerating?    

To some extent, I am.  But, take a moment and examine your list of friends.  How many do you know by nicknames that actually describe their personality better than their own name?  Which name do you believe that they were “groomed to become”?  Which name sounds like a positive influence?  Which name sounds like a public joke?

Have you ever wondered why we destroy the positive path that we dream of for our children by giving them nicknames that allow them to "act out" through a two-dimensional personalty under the guise of an adopted name?  Are we subconsciously giving our youths a "way out" if the fail to meet our expectations?  When they lose their own identity to the persona from which we expect less, we forget to correct their paths.  Sometimes, we unwillingly laugh along as their grades fall, their dreams fade, and their chances of becoming great simply disappear…


There are two sides to every coin... Just as some words can destroy a person's character, other words can reinforce their strengths.  Athletic coaches create great athletes by mentally allowing them to live up to their great "stage name". 

Actors and rappers create convincing characters in order to sell a different being to the public.   For example, Sean Combs changed his name after each bad experience in his life as a symbolic gesture of starting over with a  clean slate.  

Even T.I. realizes that the name creates an "alter ego" that is - sometimes - hard to live up to since they have a different set of rules and a different level of expectancy.  

But, these examples were fortunate exceptions.  There are also negatives.  Again, survey your neighborhoods and see how many children's REAL names you actually know....  


Maybe it is time to call a spade a spade.  I have never had a nickname.  My mother has always encouraged me to excel in the path of the name she chose for me; not a moniker that was adopted years later based on what was popular for the moment.  By her calling me by my name, I believed that she always expected my best.  In kind, I  refer to all of my relatives by their names - especially my nephews.  If they have nicknames, I remain unaware of them.  

In my presence, none of my nephews are called “Lil Man”, “Dee”, or something other than their given names.  Anything less would mean that I am asking less of them  - and accepting whatever we get back.   I call them by their names because I want to remind them of the world that exists beyond their social clicks and neighborhood hang-outs.  I want to see them raise the standard of manhood; not succumb to a two-dimensional facet of their true possibilities.  And, most importantly, I want them to remain competitive in society - not just in their social click.   

You see, I hold myself responsible for each interaction I have with the men of tomorrow.  I remain a steward of the perception that I impress upon them. 


Harlem
What happens to a dream deferred?

      Does it dry up
      like a raisin in the sun?
      Or fester like a sore—
      And then run?
      Does it stink like rotten meat?
      Or crust and sugar over—
      like a syrupy sweet?

      Maybe it just sags
      like a heavy load.

      Or does it explode?
Lansgton Hughes was on to something.  It was just up to you as the reader to truly understand...  But, I digress... I could go on and on.  But, I realize that this is just ONE Man's Opinion.... What is yours?

9 comments:

  1. Well as a child I was born Johnnie.... Jr., but nickname was Stanka because I used to be the bathroom chemist. I then went on to be a street chemist which i realized was not my path. Then I grew older and realized I needed a proper description of who I had become. I changed it to who I am now that fits who I am, Jhonathan Pierre Cornell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Jhonathan. I am so grateful that you found your true identity. I often tell others that in life, there is only one person who stands between you and your ultimate success. That person is YOU. Once we see beyond fears, erase doubts and aspire to claim our birthrights, we can achieve so much more....

      Delete
  2. It can be a scary path to take Sean! but it is well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At some point, we must realize that we are adults dealing with a child's psyche and mental development... We reward them for "acting grown" and call them by their nickname as if we are trying to be their friend... When we get angry and call them by their birthname because we want to exert authority. In order to keep you happy, they act out in the manner that gained your approval... Years later, when they are grown, they continue to seek approval by doing "childish" things that gained your acceptance before but, at that point, you expect maturity. We are failing to teach our children how to be adults and crippling their minds by allowing them to live another (more acceptable) life through the use of a nickname.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most people have a nick-name, and in some cases the name was not established to put that individual down or redirect their paths in life. Not all nick-names have negative connotations. Nick-names are all in fun - while you are a child! But I do believe that an individual should be able to distinct the two and live to be great regardless of the birthname or nickname they are given.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean, as usual, you have hit the nail on the head. When naming my children, I took months to choose their names, including what I would call them as nicknames. Gabrielle (God is my strength) is the one that I shortened and call Brie. Brie is a cheese, but the other nickname alternative was Gabby (which seemed to lean toward a very talkative person, which she is). She has been my rock when I felt down. Imani (Faith) is my center of attention and she constantly challenges me to have faith. She definitely lives up to her name. Brighton (The one who is loved) is frequently called "Brighten my day" by many when they hear his name. I did think about it and I see it as positive because he is definitely loved, as are all three of them, and he does brighten our days and the days of others who come in contact with him.

    I hear you. I understand you. Prior to reading this piece, I thought it would go in an entirely different direction. I am glad that I chose to read it thoroughly to see where you were taking it.

    As previously mentioned by some of the responses, the child's psyche is what is important when giving names and nicknames. I too wonder how many live up to their names and their true potential. In addition to names, they need loving, nurturing people to speak life to them daily, not just on their birthdays or special occasions. As a village, we are all empowered to do that, whether they belong to us or not.

    Thank you for righting an insightful piece. I enjoyed your thoughts. Pamela (All honey), and yes, I try to be sweet to anyone I meet. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well "Honey",

      As I consider this my ministry of words, you have truly "Brightened My Day" and restored my "Faith" as I draw "God's Strength" from your words.... Neither your commentary nor your beautiful spirit can be denied acknowledgement. You encourage me in so many ways... Thank you, my Angel.

      Delete
  6. Although, I understand where you are coming from, there are times when someone chooses a nickname for another reason. As a parent when we select a name for a child, that name is because we believed in the meaning of the name or had a strong positive connection with the person that we are naming the child after and wanted that positive influence to be part of them growing up.

    Unfortunately, sometimes the people that we thought were strong and positive disappoint us and that young person can sense and feel that negative energy. That then becomes a path that they choose not to follow, so to create their own identity they assume a nickname. They never forget who they really are but I think it gives them a stronger sense of direction to make the change in their life and thrive for a more individual personality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with your argument. I see it as a little extreme, but you make a clear point in saying "this approach is for some, not all"...

    I remember growing up and hearing mothers call their children by their full names whenever they had different expectancies from them. By doing this, it is a willful admission that a different name evokes a different character from a person. If you call someone by their proper (government name), you are subliminally asking them to live up to a standard. In contrast, a nickname evokes familiarization and different attributes. We all have a public and private persona and we should learn which one is appropriate in different atmospheres. KUDOS on a thought-provoking dialogue!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. We look forward to sharing our perspectives on an array of topics ranging from religion, relationships, and social candor to political positioning.

Let's engage and challenge our current interpretations of daily topics. In doing so, we may just broaden our own horizons and learn something new.

Remember, this is a safe, no judgement zone. No one is right. No one is wrong. Instead, we are all just enjoying a peek into a different way of thinking. This may be ONE Man's Opinion, but we revel in the open exchange of dialogue as we open our minds to all others.