Friday, December 16, 2011

The Business of The Church


I'm just a good ol' country boy at heart and I come from a place in time when Sunday was actually a day of worship.  I had different sets of clothes that were designated for school, play, and church.  And, unless you were trying to get in trouble, you never got one set of clothing confused with another.

The churches of my childhood all looked the same.  When you walked in, there was a clear view of the pastor and the altar.  There were ushers in place and a second podium placed on the floor from which any secondary, non-ordained people could speak.  There was a respect and reverence given to every portion of the sanctuary and - if you were fortunate - there would be a bake sale or a hot meal being sold after church.  But, even then, you couldn't just eat any place you wanted to while in the church - only in designated areas.

Today, things are so very different...


When did the church become a shopping mall or a place to hold regular business meetings?  I fully understand the concept of having tithes and offerings, but I have walked in some churches and grown nauseous because I'm greeted by ATM machines instead of ushers, appointment books to see the pastor instead of a friendly handshake from my shepherd, and stores that sell logo embossed paraphernalia and self-help books.  In the worship arena, the altar is a distant, unreachable journey and television screens, camera crews, sound booms and a fashion show of B-list celebrities place even more distance between me and a spiritual feeding.

Anyone is welcomed in the altar.  Political candidates, choir directors and even dancing ensembles willingly invade the space once reserved for the one who is to deliver the Word.  The sanctity of the pulpit is no longer reveled, but instead, sold to the highest bidder or just used as additional space for flagrant shows and competitive song.  Hymns go on endlessly as every member of the choir gets an opportunity to make a joyful noise to the 15,000 tuned-in viewers with the hope of being discovered by an Atlanta producer who just happened to tune in.  It's a blessing in disguise, I'm told...

This just does not work for me.  Should the store (though needed) be in front of the sanctuary or in the back like the kitchen?  To me, the placement of priorities just might be the same.  I go to church to worship, not be solicited.  My pastor should be tangible, not just televised.  And, when I think of telling others about what church I attend, I should be able to find inner-peace, not just coordinating pieces in a storefront boutique.  Maybe I'm the extremist.  Maybe I'm the one who is thinking irrationally.  But, when I refer to Matthew 21:12, I begin to think I may be right in my dissension.  Sometimes, I wonder if these same pastors have ever seen that passage?

Again, this is just ONE Man's Opinion... What is yours?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%, which is why I never had a church home. I have since found my down home church where you could get a meal and the pastors undevided attention before after and during service. The right church makes you a joyful giver as i am. I love the fact that I can text my Pastor or First lady for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well its great conversation to bring up, I to came form that place where you had the clothes, and things of that nature. I wabnt to hone in on the church scene, i remember before my home church, got large, because of God moving in a mighty way, tat the pastor had time for the young people even before going into the sanctuary. Also today with cjurches being as large as the one i came from now, you need to have a executive pastor to help you with manging the schedule, and even the administrative assistant who schedules important meetings , cause there are alot of other things to take place than just greeting members, and also i still know what it is to get a meal after church. and in my hom church the pulpit is still reverence, no one can just walk up there. And in this time, the church had to start to reach people where they are, and i dont have aissue with the using the debit cards, or checs for tithe and offering, biut to have a atm is a little out of order. also we need to get back to the place wher church is not the place for competition,a nd where there is a real worship experience happening, where change and transformation takes place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. We look forward to sharing our perspectives on an array of topics ranging from religion, relationships, and social candor to political positioning.

Let's engage and challenge our current interpretations of daily topics. In doing so, we may just broaden our own horizons and learn something new.

Remember, this is a safe, no judgement zone. No one is right. No one is wrong. Instead, we are all just enjoying a peek into a different way of thinking. This may be ONE Man's Opinion, but we revel in the open exchange of dialogue as we open our minds to all others.